Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Outward Appearances

I swear that if you stopped and looked at it you would think that the house 3 doors down is home to a drug dealer. Evidence is pretty circumstantial. They are never there at "normal" hours. There are always different cars parked there - which is a bitch because its a narrow road so where there are 3 cars at their house, getting past is difficult at best. People come and go at strange hours of the day. And there are a bunch of local "kids" that turn up shortly after about 10am every day.

But I got talking to "Dale" the other day. I'll call him Dale because, quite honestly I don't remember his name. There are only 6 houses in our street. I only know one of the other owners names. Isn't that a sad state of affairs. We only ever see the people at the far end of the street. Everyone else keeps to themselves. Supposedly two of the houses are owned by brothers-in-law. Does that mean that their wives are sisters or some other way to get to that situation. Either way one of them is now moving out and is renting out his house. We've been here 3 years and that's my sole knowledge of the people within 100 yards of us. Really. But we have a really good block barbecue every year (well 4 of us turned up this year - not bad for year 1).

Anyway back to Dale. It turns out Dale isn't a dealer. He's an auto mechanic on call for some bigwig. Hence he has to come and go as required and the different car outside every time. How he can afford the rent is any one's guess though. Maybe he has some other source of income ;) Or maybe being a private mechanic pays more than I think.

And its just that he has a bunch of teenage kids who are post school age and have a lot of hangers on. Drugs? Probably. Dealing? I sense this is the sort of guy that if his kids were doing that sort of thing they would last about 2 minutes before being hung drawn and quartered. Its the xbox generation. No life and no hope of getting a job (unless the job is Team Fortress apparently).

Get to know the neighbours? Not a chance. Their weird. But then ago so am I.

I wonder what they write on their blog about me. Leaves everyday at 8am. Returns by 5:30. Sometimes goes out from 6pm-8pm. Sounds like someone has a j-o-b. Maybe outward appearances aren't always so wrong. But then again hopefully they don't read my posts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment