Tuesday, December 23, 2008

16 Easy Bolts

It seems so easy at first. Just put 4 chairs together. Easy enough right? Insert tab A into slot b. Add one of 4 bolts, tighten. repeat. 4 times per chair. 16 times total.

Unfortunately it doesn't work out that way. 16 "easy" bolts turns into 16 bolts that never quite go in at the right angle. 16 times for the assembled over you to provide advice on what you are doing wrong. "Of course if they knew what they were doing they could bloody well do it themselves" goes the thought in my mind. I would quite happily give them that god awful hex wrench and stand over them and give them some of my fine advice.

Or more likely do it at speed and with force and insert that wrench into some body cavity that it shouldn't be inserted into. At force.

Dark thoughts do cloud the mind sometimes. I'm sure we all have them; I know for a fact that I have them and I'm not always proud of them. It can take you places you don't want to go. The dark corners of the "cess pool" of the Internet that you should never be (not my term but I'm going to shameless borrow it!). But sometimes the places you don't want to go are the places you most need to be and give you insights into things you didn't know you needed straightening out on. In a way it can help you set your priorities right. Face your fears head on. Sometimes its worth wading into the cess pool to see if you can find that one gem hidden at the bottom. Its there more than you know. But I digress.

It came up in an email the other day. An email that came about from talking to someone I would normally have never run into in the first place. It was that email that got me back here on post 2 (despite my procrastinations over the last few months as to whether I should start up doing this all again).

The question was simple: is it okay to wish ill on some people? Even just from this post I was wishing ill on a number of people, rightly or wrongly. The wonderful designers at Ikea that came up with the foolproof design that someone with a degree in Engineering can't complete perfectly (thanks to made in China mentality that ensures that slot B is 2mm off from tab A). And those we've chosen to surround ourselves with that feel that providing the most obvious advice is what we need to resolve any issue caused by said Ikea designers?

Of course those are the very minor ones. The fleeting ones that just sit there for a second until you get to stop for a few moments.

Then there are people in life that deserve more than just a clip around the ear. The ones at work and Walmart are the worst. I could name some names but they would know who they are. And you can bet that they are the sort that, if they ran across this, they'd get offended. The ones that would complain. And complain. And complain some more. Never mind the fact that they bring it on themselves. (And if you run across this - you know who you are and I will quite happily repeat that you deserve it if I ever get around to retaliating for all the crap you give me week in week out!).

But I will name the idiot at Walmart. I have no idea who you are by name. But running into me once was bad. Running into me a 2nd time in 60 seconds was worse. Having no idea that you did it and looking at me like it was my fault... may a plague of locusts descend on your Christmas turkey.

And then there was the grocery store. But as I always like to say - that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment